If you are a homeowner in Colorado, then you should know that painting is one of the most necessary activities you need to do to improve your home. The painting tips provided in this article will guide you into making your project a successful one.
Homeowners know that being able to paint their homes by themselves is one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to give their residence a new look. Some fail to understand that it isn’t just a matter of picking up a brush and a paint bucket, and that’s it. It is far more complicated than that.
This article is a guide for you to follow to cover all the steps needed to get a successful result. The planning process, making sure the surface is ready to be painted, the painting itself, and the cleanup afterward. You can also choose to contract the services for Imperial Painters in Denver if you are not cut out for the task.
Here are six guidelines for painting your Denver, Colorado home.
1. Choose your Paint Wisely
This should be the first thing in your mind when starting your project. You need to ask yourself the following questions.
- Do you want to go for a cheaper option or the top quality one?
- Are you sticking with gloss, semi-gloss, or matte?
- Are you shopping for a fade resistant or hardwearing option?
When you are painting the bathroom of your home, you should stick with the oil-based. They also work well for the ceilings, especially the low-sheen paints. You should also use additives that are non-toxic when working on the bathrooms, and kitchens, to prevent mold and mildew spread.
2. Choose the Right Colors for your Home
Choosing the right color of paint can have a significant effect on the appearance of your home. The interior lighting and color matching should be put into perspective when choosing the color of your home.
If you want the best result, then you should start by painting various samples on your walls and view the samples at different hours of the day to be able to see each one to varying shades of light.
If you feel that in the nearest future you are going to be selling your property, then it is best to stick with colors or paints that are trending because it will make it more appealing to prospective buyers. But if you are there for the long run, then you don’t need to worry about that, you need to focus on what will suit you, and what you will enjoy for years to come.
3. Use the Best Painting Equipment
You must use the best quality equipment that you can afford on your project. You want good coverage and an excellent finish. Your brushes are essential. You should be looking for ones with cutting in because these are very good for around window edges and room corners.
These brushes are rectilinear and have bristles that are made from safe materials and are not the same as the average paint brushes we see around.
When on large exteriors, you use rollers. They are great and simple for beginners to learn with. You need the right roller that matches your paint and can work well on the surface you are painting. For example, you need a solid, tightly laced Dacron 8mm material roller for your home plasterboard, ceilings, and walls to give you that smooth and attractive finish.
4. Prep the Surfaces
This is the most crucial step in the painting process. You need to prep the room surfaces for paint.
There are some critical steps you need to follow to ensure your surfaces are ready for painting.
- Dust the walls with a damp cloth, then allow the walls to dry off.
- Make sure to remove all the smoke detectors and electric outlet covers.
- Seal all vents with painter’s tape.
- Use the painter’s tape to tarp the floor.
- Take away all the furniture in your rooms.
- Cover all immoveable furniture with tarps.
- Fill all holes with spackling. Please wait a few hours for the spackling to dry off, then sand the spackling until it flushes with the wall.
- Make sure to remove all window treatments. The ones that are fixed to the windows should be protected with a tarp and painters’ tape.
If you follow these steps correctly, then you should have a surface ready for painting.
5. Identify the Correct Procedures
When painting your home, knowing the best techniques to use is very important. Some basic methods are worth noting when you want to achieve great results.
- Cutting in brushes should be held like a pen.
- Brushes should be dipped midway into the paint.
- Make sure to paint using the tip end and avoid using the sides of the brushes.
- It’s an old painting trick to always begin your first stroke with a W or an M shape. This usually starts on the top all the way down.
- Make sure that the metal side of the roller should be avoiding the walls so as you do not hit them against any painted walls.
If you follow these few basic procedures, then there’s no doubt that you will achieve your desired finish. You can check for some additional home painting techniques.
6. Allow Enough Time
Yes, you do need to take your time when it comes to painting your home in Colorado. You need to absorb all that you are going to be doing and what your best approach is going to be. You do not want to rush any of the steps.
You want to allow enough time for paints to dry. This helps to achieve the best finish, while ensuring that you won’t need to repaint again.